Thanks for stopping by! If you are new to my site and/or new to couponing, you might want to start here: Getting Started! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, just shoot me an email or leave me a comment here!


Thursday, September 29, 2011

Extreme Couponing?

With the return of the TLC show "Extreme Couponing" many people will have questions and probably unrealistic expectations about using coupons.  There is a great article at A Full Cup about Extremely Unrealistic Expectations.  Click on the link to read the article and please share it with your friends!

Here are some of my thoughts on the subject:

The definition of "Extreme" is going to great or exaggerated lengths and it fits this show like a glove!  Please keep that in mind if you watch it.  I will admit I do like to watch it.  However, I have serious problems with those who are on the show that:



  • Clear the shelves by buying 20+ products at a time, especially if that product is something they do not use or need.
  • Stockpile LARGE quantities of products they have no use for, i.e. baby products when they have no children
  • Appear to try to cheat the system.  These are the ones who make it very difficult for those like me who do follow all the rules and the store policies.  These are also the ones who are responsible for many stores now changing their coupon policies.
Since I started using coupons, I save an AVERAGE OF 40% PER MONTH on groceries, personal care and household items.  I consider that to be HUGE!  Sometimes I walk out of the store with a savings of 80%, 90% or even 98% but those kinds of trips are NOT the norm.

If you enjoy watching the show, please keep enjoying it, but remember it's purpose is to be entertaining, not educational!

Please share your thoughts!