Thanks for stopping by! If you are new to my site and/or new to couponing, you might want to start here: Getting Started! I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, just shoot me an email or leave me a comment here!


Thursday, July 21, 2011

Where do I start?

Feeling overwhelmed?
Want to start saving a little extra moolah each month but unsure how to get started?
A good place to start is to begin collecting coupons.  Coupons can be found in a number of places, such as:
  • Coupon Inserts in Sunday newspapers
  • magazines
  • Internet printed coupons
  • Coupon Clipping Services
COUPON INSERTS

Most major Sunday newspapers will have coupon inserts each week.  You can  subscribe to just the Sunday paper if you don’t routinely get a newspaper or you can buy them each week.  There are pros and cons to each.

Buying papers individually each week may not guarantee you the inserts for several reasons.  Unfortunately, not everyone is honest and people have been known to steal the inserts from the newspapers.  Also, some inserts do not seem to show up at all unless you subscribe to the paper.  An example, in my personal experience, is the Procter and Gamble ( PG) monthly inserts.  PG usually puts out one insert a month.  In my location in central Texas, unless you subscribe, you will not get a PG insert.  When I first started couponing, we went through about 10 newspapers and none of them had the P&G insert but the paper my in-laws had delivered had the insert.  After that, I ordered the paper, Sunday only!

There are generally 3 inserts that can be found in the Sunday newspapers.  These are:

Smart Source (SS)
Red Plum (RP)
Procter & Gamble (PG)

You will not find all 3 inserts in every Sunday paper.  It is fairly common for there to be no inserts on a holiday.  You may also occasionally see other inserts but these 3 are the most common ones.